Offering wonderful, large showy blooms, an amazing range of colours and fantastic scent, hyacinths are a great way to brighten your home and fill it with wonderful fragrance during the winter months.
Choose single bulbs in simple bulb glasses for an eye-catching display or plant half a dozen in a bowl or pot and fill your room with fragrance.
Follow our simple planting guides below and make the most of these beautiful bulbs.
For Bowls & Pots
- Select your bulbs, remembering that bigger bulbs will provide you with bigger blooms and be sure to choose a container with drainage holes.
- Almost fill your container with bulb fibre and then gently push your bulbs so that they are buried to about three-quarters of their depth – make sure that you do not plant them too deeply.
- Water your container so that the bulb fibre is nicely moist and then place it in a cool, dark location (such as a garage shelf or garden shed) or plunge it into the garden (remembering to mark the spot of course!).
- Check your bulbs regularly and water sparingly if the compost feels dry – also keep an eye open for mice as they are very fond of hyacinths!
- When the buds are approximately 3cm tall, you can move your container into a warm room – water a little each day and ensure that the room doesn’t get too cold.
- Once the beautiful flowers appear, move your container to a cooler part of the house/room to maximize flowering duration.
In Bulb Glasses
- Fill your bulb glass with water so that when you place your bulb in the neck of the glass, the water should reach to a point just below the base of the bulb.
- The narrow neck of the glass supports the bulb so that it remains dry while sending roots down into the water.
- Place in a cool, dark, well-ventilated place until the top growth is about 4in tall. This should take about 8-10 weeks and you should ensure that the temperature doesn’t exceed 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the top growth reaches 4in, you can move the glass to a north-facing window and then gradually introduce more light.
- Keep an eye on the water level, topping up as necessary with water at room temperature.
Soon your rooms will be filled with wonderful colour and fragrance – and if you time your planting carefully, you could make some lovely presents for Christmas!
We have a great selection of hyacinths, pots, bulb glasses, bulb fibre and everything else you need in store now so be sure to pop in to see us very soon!